Midway Fire Department was founded in 1958 after a group of concerned citizens approached the Lexington Fire Department about creating a rural fire district. In December of 1958 the first building for the fire department was completed and consisted of 2,800 square feet containing 2 bays, kitchen, radio equipment room, and bathroom facilities. The first building was completed solely from the efforts of the community and the businesses that donated time and materials. In 1958, the department had 2 trucks that were capable of carrying 1,000 gallons of water.
In 1989, the department finished an expansion that increased the size of the station to 17,000 square feet. With this latest expansion, 8 truck bays were added, a large meeting room, sleeping quarters with bathroom facilities, and a large kitchen combined with a day room.
The current landscape of the Midway Fire Department is ever changing. In 2006, the community of Midway incorporated to form the town of Midway. Also in 2006, the city of Winston-Salem moved forward with annexation plans and the city limits have now begun to meet up with the Davidson County line in certain areas.